Ezekiel is officially 1 week old today. The whole pregnancy people would tell me, “Cherish every moment because it goes by so fast.” I would smile and say yeah, but in my head I would usually be rolling my eyes. Yet here I am trying to figure out where on Earth the past week went. It doesn’t seem like a week has gone by since I wrote my post about scheduling the C-section. It seems like yesterday I was sitting in the hospital holding Zeke for the first time. It is crazy to think about how much can happen in a week. And I’ve had a lot of time to think because Zeke doesn’t understand the difference between night and day yet (but you better believe it is pretty high on my list of things to teach him).
As the week has gone on things have become easier, or maybe Angela and I are just more used to them. Today officially marks the first day we haven’t leaned on any grandparents for support. As I sit back and think about the past week, there are a few things I have learned.
- I am not able to binge watch Breaking Bad like I thought I would be able to
- I’ve been waiting for Zeke to get here to get caught up on that show. I’ve heard from so many people about how good it is. Turns out that I have wanted to sleep more than wanted to watch the show. I’ve watched a few episodes, but I don’t think I’ve watched one in a single sitting. Maybe as Zeke gets on a more regular schedule I’ll be able to watch more, but the truth is I really don’t care any more. If I don’t get to watch them it really won’t be that big of a deal.
- Changing diapers isn’t as bad as it sounds
- With Angela still dealing with injuries from our wreck, there have been many times that diaper changing has fallen on me. At first I wasn’t really looking forward to it, but it really isn’t that hard. Although it is a little frustrating when you change one diaper and sit back down and he immediately fires some more rounds. Before you tell me about how I don’t know yet, I am fully aware that his poop won’t really stink until he gets to solid food. By that time I’ll have a few diaper changes saved up in the bank and I can cash them in with Angela. Either that or I will invest in a nose plug.
- I have awesome friends and family
- I already knew this one, but it has really been reinforced this past week. The amount of support and love we have received from our friends and family is incredible. I don’t know how Angela and I would have survived this past week without them. To know that someone is there to support you is one of the greatest feelings ever. It can make the tough times seem like they are easy.
- Iron Man is one cool dude
- I told you guys this before he was born, but now I have proof. Zeke came out of the womb making the 97 percentile kids look like chumps. Weighing in at 10 pounds 11 ounces and 22.25 inches long, he came out making a statement. If you know anything about Angela and I, it is that we are not quiet people. Neither is Zeke. He is not scared to tell you what is on his mind. He crushed all his tests and had gained 2 ounces by his 2 day checkup. He isn’t playing around. His personality is already showing and I can’t wait to see what happens as he gets older.
1 week down. Pretty soon I’ll be writing a blog about how he is crawling and then before I know it I’ll be writing one about him graduating college (and then getting an email or whatever we use in the future about how I embarrassed him). But I’m not going to get ahead of myself and rather just enjoy the moment. Because where I am at is pretty awesome.
until next time…